What have you done in your own visits to Europe to make it more budget-friendly or to get away from the crowds? If you were going to spend several weeks – or several months – in Europe, where would you go (and why)?
- Have your first night booked in advance
- Choose a B&B in an obscure part of the city
- Take local advice on where to eat, or pick the restaurant that's heaving with locals, avoiding anywhere with translated menus
- Don't be put off by small, scruffy bars and cafes in Italy, the food will be superb. Just follow the locals, they know where the food is best and the value good
- If you can't eat all your breakfast, take some with you for snacks or lunch
- Campsites really do close at the end of the summer!
- The Italians love bikes, you will always find friends if you're on a bike
- You can hop on and off local trains with your bike, but you may be required to have it in a bike bag for the long distance, high speed ones
- If hotels appear closed, don't be afraid to go round the back and knock on the door